Thanksgiving in the United States is just around the corner, and with the delicious food ahead many dog owners will want to share the feast with their pups. But there are a number of foods traditionally eaten during the Thanksgiving holiday that can be very dangerous for our pets. If you’re not sure, check out this list below!

#1 – Cooked Bones

shutterstock_217349416

Never, ever give your dog cooked bones. While all cooked bones are dangerous, cooked poultry bones are especially concerning as they will crack and splinter. Not only  do they pose a choking hazard, they can puncture your dog’s digestive tract and have you running straight to the veterinary emergency hospital.

#2 – Onions & Garlic

shutterstock_215158549

While some argue there are benefits to feeding our dogs garlic, the Pet Poison Helpline warns that garlic is actually considered to be even more toxic than onions. Either way, both vegetables can cause serious problems in our dogs. Symptoms of onion or garlic toxicity include lethargy, elevated heart and respiratory rates, pale gums, and even collapse.

#3 – Grapes & Raisins

shutterstock_227422915

The fact that grapes and raisins are bad for dogs is becoming common knowledge among pet owners, and for good reason! They are toxic. While some dogs can consume grapes and/or raisins with no symptoms, it’s simply just not worth the risk. This is because consuming grapes or raisins can actually lead to irreversible kidney damage. So it’s best to make sure these are far out of reach of your pup.

#4 – Milk & Dairy Products

shutterstock_173563697

Many dogs are lactose intolerant, and consuming large amounts of dairy products can make them very gassy and cause diarrhea. While you may not be thinking about giving your pooch a glass of milk, remember that butter-filled mashed potatoes or a yummy baked mac and cheese is full of dairy. For dogs who can handle it, plain yogurt or cheese can be given sparingly.

#5 – Sugar

shutterstock_219212602

While sweet potatoes, yams, and pumpkin can actually be beneficial for our dogs, it’s important to remember that sugar is most definitely harmful. Candied yams and pumpkin pie should never be shared with your pup, as sugar will likely cause stomach upset and diarrhea. Long-term sugar consumption brings the same results as that in humans – tooth decay, obesity, and diabetes.

 

#6 – Caffeine

shutterstock_87855436

Often while socializing, we’d like a nice warm cup of coffee or hot tea. Although dogs don’t typically want to enjoy these beverages, it’s important to make sure they don’t get into them. Caffeine can actually be fatal if consumed in excess amounts, and once the poisoning has happened, there’s no way to recover your pup. So it’s better to be safe than sorry and keep these things out of reach!

#7 – Macadamia Nuts

shutterstock_121746850

Macadamia nuts are very toxic to our canine companions. Even five or six of these little guys can cause seizures, tremors, and death. It’s very important to make sure that all macadamia nuts and any food containing macadamia nuts is kept away from your pup at all times.

#8 – Fat Trimmings

shutterstock_214571965

Although many people consider the fat to be the most flavorful part of the meat, it’s really not a good idea to share it with your dog. Even though it’s probably one of the most common table scraps, excess cooked fat can lead to health problems such as pancreatitis and obesity.

#9 – Chocolate

shutterstock_122080888

This seems like the most obvious of all the foods on this list, but it’s still worth listing. During the holidays many people spend a lot of time baking delicious desserts that contain chocolate, and baking chocolate is the most dangerous for our dogs. Remember, the darker the chocolate, the more toxic it is. While consumption of milk chocolate or white chocolate will likely lead to excess vomiting and diarrhea, consumption of even small amounts of dark baking chocolate can be fatal.

#10 – Alcohol

shutterstock_150249023

Since wine is a popular treat for most occasions, it’s important to make sure that it and all other alcoholic beverages are kept away from our dogs. Alcohol has the same affect on a dog’s brain and liver as it does a human’s; they just need to consume less than we do. The more a dog consumes, the greater the effects, and the more likely they are to have permanent damage. So if you place your spiked beverage on the coffee table, make sure it stays out of Fido’s reach!

Feature Image: @wesleybanksauthor via Instagram